Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Most outrageous Bear Lake Monster sighting of them all!


                     A single boat at desk on a calm Bear Lake, Utah.

THE Logan Republican newspaper had a followup to another 1907 sighting with the headline: “Quil Nebeker sees monster. Verifies Mooney and Horne’s story of the Bear Lake Terrorizer and gives own experience” on Sept. 21, 1907.
Aquilla C. Nebeker was a very notable Utahn. He had not only served as President of the Senate of Utah, but as acting governor of the State for a brief time.
So, just like Charles C. Rich, a prominent leader, believed in the Bear Lake Monster in the 19th Century, so did Nebeker in the early 20th Century.
The Logan newspaper account stated it had received much response to its initial 1907 report.
It then published a lengthy report from Nebeker:
“In response to your inquiry, I can confirm the main facts of the "Bear Lake monster" story published in your last issue, but Messrs. Looney and Corn were probably too greatly excited to give you the details in an unexaggerated form. The eyes of the "monster' were not as large as wagon wheels, as stated, but they might easily have been mistaken for the headlights used on Logan automobiles, and it is an undisputed fact that either eye shed forth a light ten times more intense than any Logan street fixture.
“But, of course, this is of minor Importance. That the animal, monster, leviathan, prehistoric saurian, ichthyosaurus, pterodactyl, or mastodonaflshlcus, or whatever It may have been, was as vicious and bloodthirsty as the villain in Lincoln J. Carter's plays is evidenced in the fact that after killing the horse mentioned by your Informant, this same reptile (unless indeed there were two of them out on the fateful night)
Came to the Nebeker ranch, overturned the pigpen, devoured eight of my finest shoats, and on the return trip to the lake ate a stack of hay (small stack) and terribly lacerated two of my finest milkers. The monster came up near the house between 11 by and 1 o'clock and we were awakened by the glow from the creature's eyes, the whole country around being flooded with light.
“We all rushed to the windows, and there  in the brilliant light we could see this terrible monster, easily fifty feet long, fifteen feet high, and covered with scales like armor plate. There were countless arms and legs, and the two that extended from the rear of the head were shaped llke grappling hooks. It was with these that he (I merely presume it was or masculine gender) tipped over my pig-pen, and then as the porkers attempted to scamper away, these grappling hooks again came Into play with disastrous effect.
“He would pick up a 200-pound pig, toss it high in the air, and catch It In the descent, just like it had been trained In a circus. In less than eight seconds my eight fine pigs had found a resing (resting) place In the monster's "bosom" and it still seemed dissatisfied. It's eyes took on a greenish hue, It's face a ghastly, ghoulish appearance, and it began to swish it's tail at such a rate that the commotion in the air was well-nigh like a cyclone.
“In it's enhungered fury the monster tore down a dozen bales of barbed wire standing near my barn and gulped them down as though they were delicate morsels. By this time all of the folks but me were terribly frightened, and they confidently expected that the monster would smell the fresh-baked pies in the cellar and turn over the house In order to get them.
“Confidentially, I rather hoped he would in some way get the pies, but I sensed the danger to my loved ones and set my mind at work to devise ways and means to divert the animal's attention in case he decided to come up our way. At this juncture my dog, which seemed mesmerized before, let out a terrible howl that attracted the monster and here he came full tilt, mouth open wide enough to swallow the front porch.
“Here was my time for action, and while I dislike to speak of myself, I must confess that I arose to the emergency. As I attempted to kick my dog Into silence, I noticed my large graphophone standing on the  table ready for use. An inspiration struck me -- I called to mind the value of music in taming the snakes and wild animals of the forest and I decided to try It.
“Hastily winding up the machine, I opened wide the front door, squarely in the face of the approaching monster, and turned loose my music. As It happened, the record on the machine was that incomparable tune, "Home, Sweet Home," and as its strains floated out on the midnight air, I noticed that the monster halted, then stopped. His head being low, a reminiscent smile played o'er his features, and as the chorus was readied we were surprised to see the monster's tall switch 'round toward his neck.
“As we watched we noted a stringed Instrument, something like a Iyre, at end of the animal's tail, and us "Home, Sweet Home" continued, that monster didn't do a thing but utilize his several hands or feet In playing an accompaniment to that grand old tune. Ah, but It was sweet, and as "the band played on" we really fell in love with the Bear Lake monster. As I moved to his side, the monster seemed to welcome me as a friend of other days, and before "Home, Sweet Home" was ended the animal's head rested on my shoulder and we were mingling out tears together.
“All was going splendidly and I had definitely decided to adopt the animal and make him it member of my family. but just here sorrow, deep and tearful sorrow, shook the frame  of my newly made friend, and he began to weep. Great streams of tears poured from his eyes, and finally they flowed so copiously that the monster floated away in them. Thoughts of his subterraneous home were too much for him, and though he seemed loth to go, he waved us a sad farewell and disappeared from sight.
“A point of particular Interest just here Is that as the monster passed the barn it left my barbed wire stacked up nicely, and on top the pile left that lyre on which it had played that accompaniment. Imagine my surprise at discovering that stringed instrument to be a portion of a bale of that wire and a part of my pigpen worked up Into the most approved form.
“Now, boys, this is the straight of that "Bear Lake monster" story, but don't call him a "monster" any longer, for he is truly wondrously human. He was my friend and I learned to love him. Kindly convey my regards to all my friends in Cache and say to my Logan friends that If they want any further proof of this monster's re-appearance on Bear Lake's shores, I can show them the barbed wire he ate and the graphophone wlth which he was subdued. Yours respectfully and truthfully, AQUILLA C. NEBEKER.”

-An unbelievable account, or an imaginative work of fiction? One has to decide for themselves.

-RESEARCH conducted and compiled by Lynn Arave in 2015. 



No comments:

Post a Comment